Where there's a week day, 6.6 of the car miles are commuting. I drove 202.8 miles this month, of which 146.2 were from my commute. I walked 4.6 miles, not counting walking the dogs. I biked zero miles.
|1||6.6||1.4||walk to grocery|
|9||12.8||1.4||errands, walk to grocery|
|13||14||0||friends house to hang out|
|19||6.6||0||car pooled with our friends for dinner out|
|24||6.6||0.4||saved a trip by staying late at work and walking to a local meet-up|
|27||8.2||1.4||friends house to hang out; walk to grocery|
If you've ridden your bike even once this month, you did better than me. I want to draw attention to this for two reasons.
First, showing up is terribly important. To be dramatic: "History is made by those who show up." Showing up is also most of the work (especially for me), and I'd say it's more important than finishing. As soon as I get on my bike, getting to and from work is a breeze. It's fun and I enjoy it. It's deciding to get on my bike as soon as I get out of bed, and then following through, that's the difficult part.
Second, relative status is at least as important as absolute status. I am tied for last place in the category of "distance biked" over the past month, no matter who you compare me with. If you even made one trip to the grocery store on your bike this month, and your friends don't even own a bike, then guess what: you beat their socks off. You are awesome and you should be proud. To reach the top 5%, you must simply kick the ass of the other 95%. I wish I could find a statistic for average distance biked by an American over any period of time, but I bet it's not too high.
I obviously must change my habits. There are two things blocking me from a frictionless decision-making process of waking up in the morning to getting on my bike and starting off to work. First, I need to get my bike ready, which entails pumping the tires and making sure the handlebar is the right height. Second, I need to track down my bike clothes, work clothes, and a towel and soap (for showering at work); then lay them out before I go to bed at night. That way I can roll out of bed and be ready without thinking.
How did everyone else do on Anti-Automobile April?